Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Starfield Builder


I've been working on a module lately which will generate a starfield from the point of view of any system in the galaxy.  The shot above is a composite of pieces of the skybox taken from a system inside the outer ring of a galaxy of 100,000 stars.  I had to let the galaxy generator run all night to get that database.

In the center you can see the core of the galaxy, and on either side you can see the outer ring arcing away from us.  I think it's a pretty spectacular view, to be honest.

Here is what the galaxy looks like from above, for reference:


The system that starfield is for is in the upper right-hand corner, midway through the ring.  You'll notice the core is a rather well-defined circle, and I'm planning on fixing that soon.

I'm considering tasking one of my servers to generate a 1,000,000 star galaxy over the next few days (or weeks, depending on how long it takes), but I'm really not sure what that would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment